Minding our business is what each of us needs to do. But why do we have a hard time minding our business? Why don’t we do what we are supposed to do? Remember when you were a child, does this sound familiar:
- She got more than me
- I only have 2, why did she get 3 (My younger sister was notorious for this, my mom would always tell her to stop counting food, lol)
- Or this one, my favorite “What y’all talking about? None of your business (This is where you would suck your teeth, roll your eyes and walk away mad, lol)
We were classic at checking to see who got what and making sure someone didn’t get more than we had. That’s how we get caught up in comparison and not appreciating or being grateful for what we have been blessed with.
Minding your business may not necessarily be a physical business. There are things that you have been called and chosen to do. The time you spend watching others and paying more attention to what someone else is doing takes time away from what you are supposed to be doing. You end up passively procrastinating. Yes, passively because you are procrastinating without even realizing that is what you are doing.
What information are you putting into your mental bank?
Is it information that is taking you closer to your destination?
Are you taking care of your business?
Can you honestly say you are using your time productively?
How much time do you spend on social media?
How much television do you watch a day?
How are you spending your time? Seriously, sit and think about it for a minute.
We can make justifications for everything we do, but it is if fruitful? Is it taking you closer to your goal?
I know it’s a lot of questions today. But I really want you to stop and think about them.
Do a check in with yourself
The more time you spend not minding your business, that is less time you are spending on your assignment. There are people who need what you have and they are waiting for you to unleash what is in you. You hold the key to someone’s lock, you hold the answer to someone’s question.
How long are you going to keep them waiting?
The more you continue to doubt yourself and indulge in other people’s business is less time you are giving to yourself.
Do what you know how to do with what you have. Just get started, don’t think you have to have every single piece of the puzzle; put together the pieces you have and collect the other pieces along the way. Once you start putting together the puzzle you will discover that you have more pieces than you realize. You will also discover what pieces are missing and that will allow you to know what to strategically go after.
Here are some tips to help you get started today:
- Make a decision to start again (Everything starts with a decision, it is a made up mind)
- Decide to do one thing (Do the next thing you know to do, the other steps will appear)
- Think of what you want the end goal to be.
- Assess what you have to start with.
- FOCUS (Keep the goal in front of you and be committed to it)
- Believe that you can! (If it’s in you to do, know that you can DO IT)
In today’s social media era minding your business is not necessarily an easy task, there are many distractions. It is up to you to create the disciplines you need to be successful at whatever task you want to accomplish.